Monday 31 May 2021

Poem 52

my green-eyed mercurial boy

wanted nothing but a nice place

and a woman

in turn, alluring boys took him

on the road to perdition

in his brain wires got crossed

broken leg, football, trans am

couch rest, sunny days and a baby

eveningly, like an angel

a nightingale sings him a lullaby

protecting a gentle soul

from the ashes of excess

self destruction turned

poetry and hope

on a downward spiral

i’ve met a girl

my numbness

rushed us under my roof

of misery and resignation

my regret a nightmare of aches

desiring the one i love and lost

for my will strong was not

to be sensible and tell her

now, in this limbo of pills i exist

walking on a tightrope

of sanity and madness, a slope

at every corner of my uncertain feet

getting up is a struggle for

starving barking demons

mercilessly face and corner me

in my sleep, in daylight i see her

the one i love and lost for strong i was not